Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Being a Keeper at Home.....

A few months ago I went into our local investment office to deposit a check. The nice receptionist asked me if I was off work that day since it was in the middle of the day. My response before I even really put much thought into it was "I don't work, I just stay at home" and then she said "Oh it must be nice to just stay at home and do nothing" this really didn't even sink in until I was back in the car. I almost got back out, I wanted to run right back in there and tell her a few things !! She didn't say what she said to be mean or anything but I think she and lots of other people think the same thing, staying at home is easy! You can just stay at home all day and sit around and do nothing. I was really down by the time I returned home and it bothered me all day, why when she asked about me working wasn't my response proudly "I am a Keeper of my home" . This escalated over the hours to me questioning my ability and dilligence of keeping our home. I then went and got out any and all books, pamphlets, etc...that had to do with organizing/homekeeping and proceeded to find out why I am such a bad home keeper??


This is just a sampling of books that I have on the subject. I made all kinds of notes and what it is that I need to work on more. I stayed up into the wee hours of the night to get this doneI just Love the book titled "More hours in my day" I am always thinking that there just never seems to be enough time. Then I realized  that I was trying to cram too many things into my days. We are empty nesters so I think people assume that since I  don't have any small children at home anymore I should be out working. For some people this may be an option but I am standing on God's Word and in His Word it clearly states that we are to be Keepers at home. I just know that this is where God wants me, I feel it in my heart. I just need to get way better at it :)

I have started to redo my home management binder (Which I have renamed my Keeper at Home Binder), since it's just me and Roger and I don't have children's chore charts or any homeschooling papers I have decided to downgrade the size and things that I put in my Keeper at Home binder. I have gone from using a 3" Binder for everything to puting all my Keeper at home items in one that is a 1 1/2" binder. All of my other papers are being organized and put into small binders seperate from the Keeper at Home binder.  I am now using the large 3" binder to put all my embroidery stencils/patterns/instructions in and does it hold a lot. Makes finding things much easier than searching through the piles on my table top!!

I will have to take some pictures of my new Keeper at Home binder to show you all, I am still trying to get a routine/schedule made up for my daily cleaning and organizing that will work for me. I have tried using so many different methods and there doesn't seem to be one specific one that works for me. I like doing the task cleaning, like dusting the whole house or cleaning all counters/sinks so I am trying very unsuccesfully so far to incorporate everything I want done in to the days of the week. I will let you know if I make any progress on it :)

I also want to thank all of my wonderful blog friends who have followed me over to this new blog. You are all true treasures. Thanks for all of the nice comments left and the e-mails.

I would certainly appreciate your prayers for tomorrow, I will be going to the one place I dread more than anything ~ The dentist, getting a crown done. My dentist does prescribe me some Valium just to get myself in the door, if not I would be a basket case....

Blessings,Joann

6 comments:

  1. Good luck at the dentist! I need valium for driving in the rain on intersates, which is what I did yesterday! Its scarier than any ride at Carowinds to me. I hate it as much as you do the dentist. By the end of the day I was exhausted. I try to trust the Lord, but don't do too well at that. I keep remembering Jesus in the boat during the storm and try to calm down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your thoughts more than you know. I worked outside the home off and on over the years, but always arranged my work schedule so I was home for my kids. Then when they left home I worked very part time at something that I loved but still was at home most of the time. Now I am "retired" without pay! I love being home...and I get those questioning looks as well. I don't want to look back at my life and have regrets that I did not take time to enjoy it! We have no promises for tomorrow, that is for sure! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh PLEASE post a picture of your homekeeping binder!!! I'd LOVE to put one of these together for our home, I just wouldn't know what to put in it! I'd love to know what dividers you have, what you keep track of in it, etc! I'm SO new at this and I need all the help I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree whole heartedly that staying at home is a job in itself. Everyone thinks that just because I stay at home, I have time to do everything they want me to. Well staying at home does not mean that I am lazy or that I don't have enough to keep me busy.
    I also think this is exactly where God wants me to be. In my younger years I didn work and I have regretted it for many years. God gave me a wonderful husband, two beautiful children and 6 fantastic, heatlthy grandchildren. And next to Him, they are my priority. I am totally satisfied being a wife, mother and grandmother. Don't let anyone get you down for being exactly what you need to be. God bless you, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why, oh why, do you think you are a "bad keeper of the home"? Your home is VERY clean and well organized. You create beautiful things to fill your home. You make healthy meals and take wonderful care of your husband. I am honored to know such a fine Keeper of the home!!!!
    So glad you did well at the dentist. I am terrified of the dentist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Bren, your home looks so nice and you make such beautiful things with your sewing and crafts. You're also obviously a very loving wife and mother. I struggle with my house so much and it causes such tension with my family, but I can't afford to not work at this time. Thankfully I get to work FROM home, so at least I'm here at home. I still try to be a better Keeper at Home as well. I keep praying about it, hoping the day will come that I can quit this job that takes away time from my family and home.
    I loved seeing your books. I have several of those hehe. In fact I just got the two Elizabeth George books and need to just sit and read them or at least go through them and find that parts that speak to me.
    I agree with you that just because you don't have kids at home, doesn't mean you aren't still needed as the keeper at home. You are a blessing to your husband and I think it pleases God tremendously.
    I am terrified of dentists! I've got terrible teeth because of it too unfortunately. The last time I was at the dentist they actually had to hold me in the chair! Valium would have really helped! LOL Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment, I truly thank you for your visit. Blessings,Joann